St. Joseph Health / Covenant Health Clinical Laboratory Scientist - Laboratory *$20k Hiring Bonus* in Healdsburg, California
We are looking for a Clinical Laboratory Scientist for the Laboratory HH Department at Providence Healdsburg Hospital. Apply Today! Applicants that meet qualifications will receive a text with some additional questions from our Modern Hire system.
Up to $20,000 hiring bonus for eligible external candidates who meet all conditions for payment - this is in addition to the fantastic benefits and compensation package offered by Providence that begin on your first day of employment.
Location: Healdsburg, CA
Work Schedule: Full Time - 80 Biweekly Hours
Shift: 8-hour, (Variable Shifts)
In accordance to CLIA 493.1495 the testing personnel are responsible for specimen processing test performance, and for reporting tests. Under the supervision of the Medical Director and Laboratory Manager, the Clinical Laboratory Scientist performs generalized and specialized assignments or functions in clinical laboratory technology. The position is primarily responsible for the purpose of obtaining scientific data which is used to determine the presence, progress and source of disease or physiological condition. Punctual and predictable attendance is a requirement of this position. The Clinical Laboratory Scientist is only authorized to perform those analytical procedures after successful training and competency assessment according to the regulatory requirements and that the training and competency documents are reviewed and approved by an appropriate supervisor as delegated by the lab director.
Performs specimen processing, including various microbiological, serological, biochemical, hematological and other laboratory tests as assigned following written procedures and protocol at all times. Responsible for test performance and for reporting test results.
• Standard: Follows Lab’s procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting and maintaining records of patient test results. Test report results are complete and accurate, with less than two (2) corrected reports per month. Stat reports are completed within one (1) hour, asap reports within two (2) hours, and routine reports within six (6) to eight (8) hours.
Plans, organizes and delegates work effectively by prioritizing needs. Reviews orders to determine appropriate status (i.e., stat, asap, and routine).
• Standard: Orders/tests are distributed to the appropriate sections according to designated priority.
• Standard: Adheres to the laboratory’s quality control policies, documents all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations and maintenance performed. Be capable of identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance before reporting of test results and either correct the problem or notify supervisor Document all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory’ Follows Lab’s established policies and procedures whenever test systems are not within the laboratory’s established acceptable levels of performance. Documents all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the Lab’s established performance specifications.
Maintains testing records.
• Standard: Maintains records that demonstrate proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens.
Monitors and evaluates test performed. Before results are released in the computer system, verifies that the appropriate procedures have been followed.
• Standard: Each sample is checked for appropriate handling; previous patient data is reviewed when available. Quality control values are checked 100% of the time prior to releasing results.
Performs quality control as required in each section for each test according to procedure.
• Standard: Adheres to all quality control policies, documents all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations and maintenance performed. Instruments are calibrated according to each procedure and at time intervals stated in the procedure. Preventative maintenance is performed according to the schedule established for each instrument. All repairs are recorded in the maintenance log for the instrument. Any downtime due to equipment problems are to be reported to the supervisor.
Uses LIS in appropriate manner. Checks and clears pending reports as required in each section.
• Standard: All computer results entries are reviewed on screen before verifying. Pending list problems are resolved whenever possible before the end of the shift. Unsolved pending problems are documented and reported to the supervisor and next shift tech.
Builds and maintains effective working relationships with others. Deals with patients, physicians, employees, and visitors in a friendly and cordial manner, in person or on the telephone, thus promoting a positive service image.
• Standard: Practices telephone courtesy, creates positive first impressions, and maintains appropriate patient/client contact, in keeping with the core values. Honest and tactful in both pleasant and unpleasant situations. Develops relationships of cooperation, trust and teamwork with associates, no matter how diverse their backgrounds, education, or experience. Seeks consensus in those situations where it is required and is respectful of others regardless of personal values. Willingly accepts directions by manager.
Maintains strictest confidence as required under HIPAA for all patient Protected Health Information (PHI). All PHI is protected from accidental or intentional, inappropriate disclosure one hundred percent (100%) of the time.
• Standard: Reviews patient information in a secure location that limits access to patient charts/information to those with a need to know. When discussion is necessary uses only as much patient information as is necessary to provide appropriate care within the full scope of this role. Does not disclose, divulge, or discuss any PHI information not directly related to providing patient care and education with anyone. Takes all necessary physical precautions to secure patient information including but not limited to securing charts, paperwork when leaving work station, continuously using hospital computer security precautions, limiting discussion when unauthorized personnel or public are present.
Follows all safety and infection control guidelines established by the Hospital.
• Standard: Safety guidelines are followed at all times, including wearing of appropriate protective clothing, gloves, face shields or safety glasses. Needles are not recapped and are disposed of in Sharps containers. Aseptic and sterile techniques are maintained and total body substance precautions are practiced with each patient.
Participates in Quality Assurance activities as appropriate for section protocol.
• Standard: Identifies problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results. Problems relating to specimen collection and test results that potentially affect patient care are reported and documented as soon as errors are identified. Problems are corrected immediately upon discovery as appropriate. Such problems are immediately reported to supervisor for follow-up investigation with 24 hours of occurrence.
Assists in the collection of laboratory specimens when necessary or when asked to do so by another staff member.
• Standard: Blood is accurately drawn from both inpatients and outpatients as requested and within assigned timelines.
Complies and maintains appropriate raining and competence requirements.
• Standard: Performs analytical procedures only after successful training and competency assessment (according to regulatory requirements) and training and competency documents are reviewed and approved by the supervisor.
Stroke Program – Takes an active role in job specific stroke education and training.
Performs other duties as assigned to support the department’s objectives.
• Standard: Performance to be evaluated in terms of:
◦ Adherence to instructions.
◦ Completed within designated time lines.
Attention to detail.
Strong communication skills (written and verbal).
Works effectively with others.
Ability to anticipate, recognize and meet the needs of patients.
Demonstrate excellent interpersonal communication skills.
Generalist: Ability to work in all laboratory departments (microbiology excluded).
Microbiologist: Proficient in all aspects of microbiology.
Minimum Position Requirements:
Education: Coursework/Training - Completion of an accredited Med Tech training program
Experience: 1 year General clinical laboratory experience.
Licenses/Certifications: Valid CA CLS license.
Preferred Position Qualifications:
Education: Bachelor's Degree
Experience: 6 months Laboratory Information System computer experience.
Providence St. Joseph Health (Providence) has worked for decades to improve health and quality of life in California's North Bay region, starting in Sonoma County, where the Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange opened the doors of Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital in 1950. Today, we continue the mission begun by the Sisters to those we serve through an integrated spectrum of primary, urgent, acute, outpatient, palliative care and regional referral services. Sonoma County facilities aligned with Providence include the 278-bed Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital, the region's only Level II trauma center. In addition, the 80-bed Petaluma Valley Hospital and 43-bed Healdsburg Hospital are secular (non-religious) affiliates of Providence. Our services also encompass three Urgent Care centers, Hospice of Petaluma, Memorial Hospice and North County Hospice, the Annadel Medical Group doing business as St. Joseph Health Medical Group, as well as the St. Joseph Home Care Network (post-acute care services). We act as a regional referral hub for outlying hospitals, while also providing outpatient behavioral health care, education to promote health and prevent chronic disease, rehabilitation, oral health care, community benefit programs, and more, all fostering health and quality of life throughout the area.
Providence provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Providence complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Positions specified as "on call/per diem" refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled on as "as needed basis" to fill in for staff vacancies.
Company: Sonoma County Entities
Category: Clinical Laboratory Scientist/ Microbiologist
Req ID: R343345
St. Joseph Health / Covenant Health
- St. Joseph Health / Covenant Health Jobs