Providence Health & Services Clinical Secretary - Centralia Physical Therapy in Centralia, Washington
Providence is calling a Clinical Secretary (Per Diem FTE, Day Shift) to work in Centralia Physical Therapy at Providence Centralia Hospital in Centralia, WA.
The Clinical Secretary of an outpatient physical therapy clinic must have good communication and organization skills. This individual is responsible for obtaining accurate intake information from patients, scheduling patient treatment appointments and organizing patient files. They must interact with patients, families and staff in a manner that portrays a positive image for the clinic. They will be responsible for transcribing communication from physical therapists and from PCH physicians who happen to share the facility.
In this position you will:
•Provide transcription correction and typing services to the staff of the hospital therapy clinic. Standards:
• Understands transcription procedures and software.
• Has a transcription “turnaround” time of 48 hours.
•Screens referrals and schedules patients appropriately. Standards:
• Asks appropriate questions of referring physicians’ offices, accurately documents diagnosis, and obtains all necessary information.
• Schedules language interpreters for patients when needed.
• Screens referrals appropriately and forwards to outside therapy clinics as appropriate.
• Accurately documents all scheduled appointments on paper and electronically.
• Initiates and maintains patient files.
• Obtains necessary insurance information from new patients and refers them to financial counselor if necessary.
• Works closely with referring physicians, office staff, and outside agencies to develop positive relationships and open communication.
• Ensures the appropriate forms are completed by the patients.
• Offers assistance in explaining and completing the intake forms.
•Manages patient billing functions for therapists to maximize clinic reimbursement. Standards:
• Collaborates directly with providers to ensure adequate charges and diagnostic coding of patient records.
• Collaborates with Business Services on billing practices, rejected bills, and regulatory changes that may affect reimbursement.
• Has knowledge of various insurance companies and understanding of benefit allotments.
• Effective in initiating the authorization process for insurance companies that require it.
• Verifies all information with insurance companies, as needed.
•Effectively performs daily secretarial duties. Standards:
• Makes phone calls to patients to schedule appointments and those who have missed appointments.
• Answering the phone and directing calls appropriately.
• Attending to the front desk window, which is utilized both by patients and hospital visitors.
• Understands and performs billing procedures.
• Understands inventory procedures and par levels and orders supplies accordingly.
• Orders departmental equipment and supplies through appropriate vendors.
• Understands and performs outpatient clinic admission procedures.
• Pulls charts, faxes and copies documents in a timely manner.
• Schedule outpatients in the electronic scheduling system to facilitate smooth patient flow and allow adequate time for therapists and supportive staff to spend with patients.
• Complete and maintain inpatient rehab and transitional care unit scheduling boards.
• Prepare patient files and obtains correct information as needed, including assisting therapists in making sure chart is up-to-date with current referral, monthly physician notes, IE’s, DC summaries, Medicare re-certifications, etc.
• Notifies therapists and others of needed information requests by other hospital departments, referring providers, vendors and other practitioners.
• Maintains non-patient files such as protocols, blank evaluations and progress note forms, ordering and other clerical forms.
• Gathers data and prepares a monthly statistical report.
• Assists with daily therapist scheduling duties, including integration of inpatient and outpatient visits.
• Performs duties such as copying chart records and provide information for patients, PCH Business Services, attorneys, insurance companies and hospital departments as needed.
• Prepares charts for archiving, including chart prep and inventory, and has ongoing communications with chart management company.
•Effective in dealing with customers of all ages.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- 1 year Experience working in an office setting.
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
Medical clerical experience.
Experience with ICD-9 codes, medical billing and Medicare regulations.
About the hospital you will serve.
Providence Centralia Hospital in Centralia, Washington is a 127-bed, not-for-profit hospital providing emergency, diagnostic, cancer, birthing and surgical services. It consistently receives high scores on accreditation surveys by the Joint Commission, the Washington Department of Health (DOH) and the Washington Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS).
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Schedule: On Call
Job Category: Administrative (Non-Clinical)
Req ID: 303128
Providence Health & Services
- Providence Health & Services Jobs